Now days in internet you must be hearing lot about the term AMP i.e Accelerated Mobile Pages and you must be having lot of question on the same like what it is, how it affect your blogging and how to install AMP on your wordpress blog. In this post, I will try to answer all this question.
WHAT IS AMP?
Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is a project from google and twitter to ensure fast loading of mobile pages. If we see the internet trends, now more and more people are using smartphones, tabs etc for accessing the information from web. Even if you see the trend for your own blog in google analytics over a period of time you will also notice that weightage of users with mobile devices are increasing day by day. In this view, it is important that the pages on the mobile devices loads faster. AMP ensures sites load quickly on the mobile devices and is finger friendly.
WHY AMP IS IMPORTANT?
Many bloggers and marketers may say that our blog/website is fully mobile optimized and thus why we require AMP. But this perception is not correct as the benefits of AMP are far more than the Non-AMP optimized Websites. This is because:
- AMP is basically the stripped down form of HTML and thus does not have complex stuff which reduces the speed.
- AMP forces you to use streamlined CSS version.
But at the same time there are some cons of using AMP, the same are:
- It will overwrite your existing design.
Nevertheless the important point in AMP is it gives preference to the speed and readability over everything else even design and sharing.
WHY SHOULD I USE AMP?
There are many reasons to use AMP and the biggest reason is SEO. Let us try to understand the benefit of AMP (Check out the video at the end).
- SEO Boost : The AMP pages will be given high preference by the google and this pages will appear in the google news carousel.
- Better Ranking : Loading time of pages is a very important factor for determining the page ranking. Since AMP pages loads better and also even in the slow network, it will give a boost to your google ranking. And for sure AMP pages will always have better google ranking as compared to non AMP pages after recent announcement from google.
- Reduction in Bounce Rate : Main reason of the high bounce rate is the slow load time due to which many mobile users leaves the site faster. Since the AMP pages are faster it will reduce the bounce rate of the site and will help you to retain your users.
Example of AMP Pages
Mobile Version :
HOW TO INSTALL AMP FOR MY WORDPRESS BLOG?
If you want to boost your SEO and improve your google ranking it is very much important to install the AMP for your wordpress blog. Here you have to keep in mind that installing AMP will create two version of your page, one will AMP related and other one is your original page.
Now, many of your will be worrying on the installing the AMP but you don’t need to be as there is already a plugin available which can be used install AMP on your wordpress site.
I will recommend to install following plugin to make your blog AMP competent.
Note : Glue for Yoast SEO and AMP is not mandatory but is highly recommend if you are using Yoast SEO.
Steps to install AMP:
- Install and activate AMP (Plugin No.1) to your wordpress : When you install this plugin all your post will have amp version. You can check the same by adding /amp/ to the end of the url and then you can see the amp version of your post. The plugin adds a standard meta tag in the head of your normal pages that makes it possible for Google and others to recognize these pages exist.
- Install and activate the Glue for yoast SEO and AMP (Plugin No.2) : As mentioned earlier the AMP pages overwrite your design and it just takes site logo. To overcome this issue to some extent Yoast has developed a plugin. With this plugin your are provided with some option of designing your AMP pages like Link Colour, text colour etc.
HOW TO CHECK IF AMP IS VALID FOR MY PAGES
As of now, amp is available only to the post and not pages. You can check if your amp page is valid google by the Google AMP Test Tool. Simply give url of your page with /amp/ at the end and it will show whether the post is valid AMP or not.
Video on AMP