- Salzburg is an Austrian city on the German border, with views of the Eastern Alps. I can also say it as a mini swiss having beautiful alps view, lake, castles, Ice caves etc.
- It’s also known as the birthplace of Mozart and setting for the film “The Sound of Music.” The city is divided by the Salzach River, with medieval and baroque buildings of the pedestrian Altstadt (Old City) on its left bank, and 19th-century Neustadt (New City) on the right.
- It is internationally renowned for its baroque architecture and is one of the best-preserved city centers north of the Alps. It was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
- Austrian German is widely written. Austro-Bavarian is the German dialect of this territory and widely spoken.
HOW TO VISIT
The best way of exploring the salzburg is by using salzburg card. This card provides free entry to all the museums, free use of the Fortress funicular, the Untersberg cableway, Cruize ride and public transport. Further to this it also provides discount on tickets of many concerts and theaters. The price of this card depends on the number of days one is planning to stay the city. The price chart is :
- 24 hrs card / Adult – 27 Euro
- 48 hrs card / Adult – 36 Euro
- 72 hrs card / Adult – 72 Euro
Note : The price for child card is half of the adult card.
The card can be taken from the main railway station or any tourist place in Salzburg. It can also be booked online through the salzburg tourist website.
According to me to cover entire Salzburg one require 3-4 days as the place has lot of things to do and visit. However if one plans for a budget trip two days are fine and one can cover most beautiful part of the city. The cost estimate for the 2 days budget trip apart from cost to travel to salzburg will be
- Accommodation : Youth Hostel cost around 20-30 Euro per day and can be booked online through various websites like Hostel Bookers and Hostel world.
- Food : Depending on what one prefer to eat. However one can expect 5-7 Euro per meal in an inexpensive restaurants.
- Transportation Cost : With the Salzburg card transportation is free.
- Sight Seeing : Most of the sight seeing places are already covered in the Salzburg card and thus does not cost anything extra. However, place like Ice caves, Salt mines etc requires additional cost of transportation and tickets to visit this places (Approx 50 Euro for both). This two are not covered in the Salzburg card. The list of places covered in Salzburg card can be obtained from the Salzburg tourism website.
Money Saver Tip :
1) Travel with Salzburg Card,
2) Book the hostel in city center as all the major city attractions are near city center and will thus save time,
3) If you are in group of 5 or more ask for the group discounts as many city attractions and train tickets are at discounted price for groups. However the minimum number of person to form group differs at different place. For eg. at Ice Caves discount is available for 20 person group although for train tickets to Ice caves discount is available for group of 5 also.
MUST WATCH PLACES
Ice Caves are located in Warfen around 40 kms from the Salzburg. This is the largest Ice caves in the world. While visiting the caves one can explore and see the beautiful mountains. The caves is 42 kms long, however it is open for only 1 km for public. It is a guided tour and one has to purchase the ticket once reached the caves. To visit there one need to book the train tickets from salzburg. The same can be brought at the main railway station.
Important Tip : Plan the trip for the Ice caves in the early morning. The first train from Salzburg railway station starts at around 7 and then at 8. Going late to this place does not make sense and one will miss the very beautiful views.
Salt mines are another place one can visit. The place can be covered on the same day with the Ice caves i.e while returning from the Ice caves. The place is around 20 kms from the salzburg. It is the place for the local miners and an attractive tourist place. Unfortunately I was not able to visit the place so don’t have much info about the same. However one can find more info on the salzbug tourism website. Please click here.
Important Tip : One can cover the place with the Ice caves. Take the one day train pass from the main station which is valid for one full day and thus one can cover both Ice caves and Salt mines at the cost of one pass. But one has to start early in the morning if both the places are to covered. May be one should take 1st or 2nd train in the early morning. After 9 O’ Clock it will be too late.
Here one can enjoy the cable ride to the top of the mountain. While going towards the top, one can enjoy the beautiful alps views. One can also see the beautiful salzburg lake from the top of the mountains. One can also hike the mountain if interested. One can spend almost 1-2 hrs at the top and can come back via cable car. Cable car runs once in every Hour.
Salzburg Zoo is on the foot of the Hellbrunner mountain with the steep rocky Cliffside on one side and the hilly floodplain landscape on the other. It is home for arounf 140 animal spices all over the world.
Important Tip : The zoo is one the way while coming back from the unsterberg. So if one is interested in visitning the zoo, they can cover it with the Unsterbeg as it will save travelling time.
Cruise Ride on the Salzburg lake is a wonderful experience esp. for those who have not done the cruize ride before. The ride is free with the Salzburg card and it takes around 45 – 60 mins. During the ride one can experience the beautiful view of the city, lake and at the same time listen to the beautiful music played during the ride.
Mirabellplatz is a beautiful garden in the city. One can spent 30 – 60 mins , relax and take some beautiful photographs. I personally feel it is a beautiful place for those who loves and want to enjoy peaceful time with beautiful flowers.
Mirabell Palace is near the Mirabell Garden. Its a beautiful palace. One can see it from outside as today it houses the offices of Salzburg’s mayor and the municipal council.
a. Salzburg Castle : The main castle turned museum where one can go back to the history of the salzburg.
b. Tricky Fountain : Also known as Schloss Hellbrunn is famous for lot of water tricks and fun. I personally suggest one to go here and experience an all together new water tricks. One can cover the place with castle as they are nearby.
c. Hohensalzburg Fortress
d. Mozart’s Birthplace
Tourist Info : http://www.salzburg.info/
City and Bus Maps : http://www.salzburg.info/en/service/salzburg_maps
Visit the our Photo Gallery on Salzburg by clicking here
Interested in visiting Salzburg? Book your hotel herePublished in