I don’t think the country needs any introduction. It is one of the most beautiful place of the world and I am pretty much sure that its part of many people’s dream destination. Rick Steves has rightly said about the swiss in his quote:
“Swiss cities remind me of the kid at high school who’s great at sports, has perfect hair, the best girlfriend, and the teachers all love him. He’s just too perfect.”
Yes, It’s a perfect country and I think that is why it is also known as heaven on the earth.
As I told earlier the place is so beautiful, so perfect and so popular that its name is enough for its introduction, but nevertheless i will touch upon some key points of the place.
- It is a landlocked country in the central Europe and share it borders with France to the west, Italy to the south, Austria to the east and Germany to the north.
- One of the key feature of the country is its culture diversity. Due to this, there are four official language: German, French, Italian and Romansh. But German is most widely spoken.
- The country is known for it alps and snow. It is the best part in the world to do the winter sports or the adventure sports like Skydiving, Hang-gliding, Bungee Jumping etc as you can see the breathtaking views from the top after which no other place in the world will excite you that much 😉
- Swiss is also famous for its chocolates. If you are here, you simply can’t afford to miss the taste of Swiss chocolates. One of the best chocolates of the world.
- The place is best for the couples as it is the most romantic place of the world. That’s the reason why you can find Swiss in every Romantic Indian Movies.
HOW TO VISIT
Best way to travel Swiss is by car where you can continuously take the spectacular view. If for some reason its not possible, then you should take the Swiss Travel Pass which makes all your journey within Swiss free and also offers you discounts at some of the attractions.
The price chart of Swiss travel pass (2nd Class journey) is :
1. Adult – 3 Days : 210 CHF, 4 Days : 251 CHF, 8 Days : 363 CHF, 15 Days : 440 CHF
2. Youth (16 – < 26) – 3 Days : 179 CHF, 4 Days : 213 CHF, 8 Days : 309 CHF, 15 Days : 374 CHF
3. Children (6 – <16) – 3 Days : 105 CHF, 4 Days : 125 CHF, 8 Days : 181 CHF, 15 Days : 210 CHF
Benefits of Swiss Travel Pass :
- Unlimited travel by rail, road and waterway
- Including most panorama pleasures*
- Free travel on public transport in 75 towns and cities
- Free admission to more than 480 museums
- 50% discount off most mountain railways
There are many other Travel pass option available. One can find the same in Swiss Pass website and choose the best suitable. But personally I feel Swiss Travel Pass is the best way to travel Swiss.
Important Tip: If you are travelling to Swiss from Germany or other European countries, you can take the Swiss pass from the main railways station there. Some times they offer discounts on the Swiss Travel Pass. I too got my youth Swiss travel pass at price of 179 CHF for 4 days in Germany so it will be a good deal 🙂
Swiss is of the most expensive country in Europe so it is always better to plan early and know what, where and how to visit. This is because in Swiss travelling one location to other requires time as they are not nearby so it always to have pre plan of all the things you want to do here.
The average cost of various things in Swiss will be as below:
- Accommodation : Youth hostels in Interlaken will cost around 35-45 Euro and can be booked online through various websites like Hostel Bookers and Hostel world.
- Food : Food is quite expensive in Swiss and one time budget meal may cost up to 15-20 Euro.
- Transportation Cost : With Swiss Travel Pass, transportation is free.
- Sight Seeing : With Swiss Travel Pass entry to maximum museums are free. With regard to other attractions one have to pay but yes you get discounts with Swiss travel Pass. The cost of various attractions is mentioned below in the section “Must watch places”.
Money Saver Tip:
1) Travel with Swiss Travel Card. It will save you a lot of money on transportation within the country.
2) Book your hostel in Interlaken or nearby it as it is the center of many attractions in Swiss.
3) If you can cook, majority of hostels provide kitchen facility. You can purchase the ready to eat food items and just warm it and eat. It will save you a lot of money.
4) Always pre plan your itinerary otherwise you will waste a lot of time in Swiss on deciding where to go. Trains to some attraction go only once in hour so you can afford to waste time in Swiss on deciding where to go.
5) Check if you can purchase your Swiss Travel Pass from Germany. As mentioned above, you will get some discounts.
MUST WATCH PLACES/THINGS TO DO
Rhine Falls is the largest plain waterfall in Europe. The place is around 46 Kms from Zürich and it takes around one hour to reach here. One can also experience the spectacular view of the falls from boat. There are several boat ride in the Rhine which provide the tour of 10 – 30 mins. One can also go to the closure of the falls from the Laufen Castle. An adventure path goes from the castle to below platforms and from there one can enjoy the overwhelming view of the nature.
Price : 5 CHF (incl. Castle)
How to Reach : Take a train to Neuhausen
Lake Brienz is one of the beautiful lake situated near town Brienz from which it derives its name. The lake with its blue color and surrounded by mountains provides a spectacular view of the nature. In order to enjoy this master price of the nature one should take either a boat or cruise ride.
Price : Free with Swiss Travel Pass
How to Reach : Take a cruise from Interlaken Ost or go to the Brienz City by train and take a Cruise towards Interlaken ost
The Schynige is a high mountain situated in Jungfrau region provides you an amazing view of the nature and the flora. If you are interested in the Gardens and flowers, the place is best for you as it has more than 650 species of the plants and flowers. Apart from flora, the trip to this mountain with Cogwheel train which takes you to the top of the mountain provides you an amazing view of the Swiss which you simply cannot afford to miss. Also one can have a some snacks, sweets and cup of coffee at mountain restaurant at the top of the place.
Price : 54 CHF (50% Discount with Swiss Travel Pass)
Timing : Morning 7:45 to Evening 6:45
How to Reach : One can take a Cogwheel train from Wilderswil.
Mt. Jungfrau is one of the highest peak in the Europe where one can go. It is the place full of snow and within itself there is hidden gem of the nature. Standing at Mt. Jungfrau amidst snow, provides you a feeling that you are in the heaven of the earth, the best place ever you could visit in your life. You can visit this place from Kliene Scheidegg by taking a Cog-Wheel railway. The cog-wheel railway travels year-round through the tunnel and over the steep climb up to the Jungfraujoch. Two stops in the tunnel also permit spectacular views of the Eiger north wall and surrounding glacier world.
Further to this, Mt. Jungfrau provides you an opportunity to do lot of snow adventure sports like Skiing, snow boarding etc.
Price : 133 CHF with Swiss Travel Pass.
Mt. Titlis is another Glacier mountain in Swiss where one can enjoy a spectacular view of the nature full of snow. If you are from India, the place will be more special for you as you can find the posters of Sharukh Khan with Kajol from famous movie “Dilwale Dulaniya le Jayenge”. Further, you can find a lot of Indian foods like Pav Bhaji, idlie, Dosa etc which you can enjoy at the top of the mountain which is really an amazing experience.
Important Tip : Before going to any mountain tops like Mt. Jungfrau or Mt. Titlis don’t forget to check the weather as if it is cloudy your trip to this mountain will be waste as you will not be able to enjoy the view because of clouds and moist.
Mt. Pilatus is an another beautiful mountain peak near city of Lucerne. To reach the top of mountain one can take a Pilatus Railway which is world’s steepest cog-wheel railway. While coming down one can take a cable car and enjoy its ride. From here one can enjoy the amazing view of the city Lucerne and Lake Lucerne.
The Harder Kulm is a 1,322 metres (4,337 ft) high summit in the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland, overlooking the town of Interlaken. The best time to visit this place is in the evening. One can experience a wonderful and breath-taking view of sunset.
Price : Free
How to Reach : Take a train from Interlaken. It takes around 20-30 mins from Interlaken to reach here.
Zürich is largest city in Swiss and is located in the north – central part of the Swiss. One can take walking tour of the city and visit Lake Zürich and some of the museums and churches.
Interlaken is a central place of many tourist attraction and is the best place to the adventure sports. One can also take a walking tour of the place and enjoy the wonderful view of the alps and nature in the Swiss. One can also go to Hohematte Park which is in the center of the town. It is also a good place to purchase Swiss chocolates which one should surely purchase. There are a lot of shops in the city center where one can purchase Swiss Watches if one likes.
Geneva is a business capital of the Swiss and a second most populous city. One can visit the place and take a tour to the Geneva Lake, Geneva Chair, Geneva Clock and UNESCO building which is UNESCO world heritage. If you are going to Geneva in starting of August, do not miss the Geneva fest which is a dancing fest and you can find a lot of people gathering around the Geneva lake and dancing on the beautiful songs.
If you are a person who loves to do lot of adventure sports like Sky diving, Paragliding, Bunjee Jumping etc, Swiss is the best place for you. Although the sports here are little bit costly as compared to the other parts of Europe but the view which you get from the top while doing this sports is amazing and cannot be missed. You can find a lot of people in Swiss doing these sports and sky is full of the Para Gliders and the Hang Gliders. I too didn’t miss the opportunity and did Hanggliding and the only word which came out of me after doing it was a big “Whoooooooooowwww”. So if you are in Swiss, just challenge yourself and do the adventure sports and take a wonderful views of the place from Sky.
Swiss Helicopter provides you an opportunity to view the majority of attractions from the top while doing a helicopter ride. One can choose to do the scenic helicopter ride. Although it is quite expensive and may range upto 300-400 CHF per person but based on number of people you can negotiate the price. The link of website is http://www.swisshelicopter.ch/EN/
- There are lot more places in Swiss where you can visit. You can find the link of those place here: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/home.html
- Purchase of Swiss Travel Pass online : Swiss Travel Pass
- To do adventure sports in Interlaken : Adventure Sports
- To check the weather at Mt. Jungfrau : Mt. Jungfrau Weather
#switzerland tourismPublished in