The smallest country in the world has an area of less than 0.5 km on each side! We frequently come across some mouth gaping stories but this is one of those surprising realities that will leave you amazed. Just imagine that when India’s area is 3.287million km², how could a country with the area of 0.44 km² can even exist!
THE LAST ONE MIGHT CATCH YOU WITH A SURPRISE!
- One of the most densely populated countries in the world.
- Popular tourist destination for its sunny weather, attractive beaches, prehistoric monuments and a vibrant nightlife.
- The smallest country in Asia in terms of area and population.
- Maldives has a vibrant tourism economy due to its famous white sand beaches and crystal blue waters.
- Low ground level elevation makes Maldives as the lowest country in the world.
8) Saint Kitts and Nevis
- The islands provide fantastic diving sites due to abundant marine life.
- A major sugar exporter, the large plantations are now beautiful estates that have been converted into hotels and resorts.
7) Marshall islands
- Marshall Islands is one of the finest destinations for scuba diving and snorkeling.
- The major industries of this small Island country include handicraft, copra, fish processing and tourism.
- This is the only nation in the world to be completely located in the Alps.
- Liechtenstein is the richest country in the world by GDP per capita, with the lowest unemployment rate (1.5%).
- Getting into the country is a little tricky without an airport. Visitors must go through Switzerland’s Zurich Airport.
5) San Marino
- San Marino is the world’s oldest republic.
- San Marino takes its government very seriously. It has a very complex structure, based on a constitution written in 1600.
- The people of San Marino are amongst the world’s richest people.
- It may not even exist in the next 50 years if sea level continue to rise.
- Even if the sea level does not rise, other problems such as population growth and coastal erosion still make Tuvalu a very vulnerable country.
- Nauru is the world’s smallest island nation, the smallest independent republic, and the only republic in the world without an official capital.
- Nauru also has the world’s highest level of type 2 diabetes – over 40% of its population is affected.
- Monaco is roughly the size of New York’s Central Park.
- It’s the most densely populated.
- Its natural citizens are forbidden from entering casinos, but to make up for it, they do not have to pay any income taxes.
1) Vatican city
- Vatican is roughly the size of a golf course.
- Another unique thing about the smallest country in the world is that it has no permanent citizens.
- Citizenship of the Vatican City is conferred upon those who work at the Vatican and is revoked when they stop working there.
- It is the only non-commercial economy in the world.
Fun Fact: Principality of Sealand is an unrecognised micronation with an area of .004 km² (roughly the size of a tennis court) It was constructed during World War II. It has its own currency, soccer team, passports, stamps, and a defense force. It holds 30 rooms and used to house around 22 permanent residents.
Picture credits: AirPano,The Telegraph,encyclopedia,pinterest,para la naturaleza,worldwidecitizenship.com,kuoni, wdm.com,EscapeHere,TouristMaker,NBC newsPublished in